Gospel City Church is a six-year-old English-speaking church plant in Seoul, Korea. We currently have an active congregation of around 160 people. We aim to be a healthy church that is all about Jesus and people. These values have been evident throughout the pandemic as our church has fared well, both in attendance and giving.
Christianity in Korea is in rapid decline. Most church leaders here are in agreement that Korea is in a spiritual crisis. While about 29% of the Korean population are Christian, only 3% of college students and youth are attending church. This means that within a generation, Christianity may become virtually non-existent in Korea.
In a city where Christianity is decreasing, Gospel City exists to transform people, cultures, cities, and nations through the gospel by raising disciples of Christ in authentic community and by planting healthy churches for the glory of God. We have seen many Koreans come to our church because of our Christ-centered preaching and gospel-shaped culture. In the following years, our vision is to reach more Koreans by planting healthy Korean-speaking churches.
We are looking for a new lead pastor to continue the vision and mission of the church alongside our two assistant pastors and administrator. The ideal candidate has 4+ years of experience as a pastor, is passionate about gospel-centered ministry, and has a heart for the nation of Korea.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Calling to Pastoral Ministry: The lead pastor must have a firm sense of God’s call to be a pastor and have a lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements for leaders. (1 Tim. 3:1-7, Tit. 1:5-9, & 1 Pet. 5:1-5)
- Gospel-centered Ministry: The lead pastor is expected to know and love our Lord Jesus Christ above all. His preaching, theology and ministry philosophy must be shaped by a gospel-centered paradigm. The pastor will create a culture where conduct and community is shaped by the gospel; not one of legalism, emotionalism, fear or shame.
- Leadership: The primary role of the lead pastor will be to champion the mission, vision, and values of the church along with the assistant pastors and leaders of the church. He should be wise and discerning, and know when to be decisive, sensitive, tender and firm. His leadership should effectively “equip the saints for the work of the ministry.”
- Pastoral Care: The pastor should have a shepherd’s heart, providing pastoral care and counsel to the congregation.
- Preaching & Teaching: The pastor shall preach expository, redemptive-historical, and gospel-centered sermons, clearly communicating the whole counsel of God. Pastor will provide teaching at-large (membership classes, training, church-wide equipping, etc.)
- Administrative: The pastor should have the skillset to effectively oversee the administrative tasks associated with the position that relate to, but are not limited to, yearly vision and planning, Sunday services, staff meetings, the advisory group, and the finance team.
- Community and Discipleship: The pastor will model discipleship in community by being an active member of the church community and involved in a community group. He will also help oversee the courses taught in the church.
- Outreach, Mercy, & Justice: The pastor will work closely with our For The City Ministry to strategically partner with local NGO’s in caring for the marginalized and unreached. The pastor will lead the overseas missions efforts of the church.
- Is an ordained minister and committed to gospel-centered theology and reformed doctrine
- Holds to a complementarian view of elders
- Is fluent in English (fluency in Korean is also preferred)
- Become a member of Gospel City within 90 days after installation
- Must be able to attain own visa
- Is burdened for Korea and the next generation
- Deeply values healthy leadership and healthy church
- Has a passion for church-planting
- Is teachable, a self-started and takes initiative
- Has the proven ability to lead, preach, teach, shepherd, and build teams and ministries
Applicants should be familiar with:
- History of Christianity in Korea, Korean Cultural Christianity, and cross-cultural ministry
- The Gospel Coalition and its Theological Vision for Ministry
- Center Church by Tim Keller
- Nine Marks of a Healthy Church by Mark Dever
Education & Experience
- Education: M. Div or equivalent degree from an accredited seminary
- Experience: 4+ years as a pastor in a local church
How to Apply
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume & three recommendation letters
- Links to 2 recorded sermons (audio and/or video are both acceptable)
- For more information about the church, go to www.thegospelcity.org
- For questions, email email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org