Open Door Presbyterian Church’s (ODPC) vision is to be an open door to a life changing grace. ODPC is an independent church, Presbyterian in polity, in Herndon, Virginia, consisting of two interdependent congregations: the English-speaking Congregation (EC) and the Korean-speaking Congregation (KC). Each of EC and KC is governed by its own board of elders, with issues affecting both EC and KC addressed jointly by both boards of elders. On Sundays, approximately 450 adults attend EC services while approximately 2,000 adults attend KC services. In addition, there are about 300 Youth Group students as well as about 600 children in our Children’s Ministry.
PURPOSE/MISSION OF THE POSITION
The Youth Pastor will be part of a youth ministry team with a focus on fellowship, welcoming, and worship aspects of the youth group. The candidate will especially direct his/her time to caring for newcomers and their families, as well as promoting community and fellowship within the youth group. This will be a role where one will have to work in collaboration with the other youth pastors.
UNIQUENESS OF THE ROLE
This is a unique ministry opportunity where you are working with multiple generations and multiple cultures. It is critical that the incoming candidate can develop healthy relationships not only with our youth and their parents, but also with our Korean-speaking and English-speaking congregation’s leaderships.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Preaching on a rotational basis
- Developing and implementing a system of integrating newcomers into the body-at-large
- Teaching/training and care of the volunteer teachers and staff
- Helping lead Friday night events
- Getting to know youth and families (home visits, graduations, student events, etc.)
- Planning and preparing for the summer and winter retreats
- Overseeing and executing fellowship and outreach events
- Attending weekly staff meetings
- Engaging and improving social media presence (Facebook, Instagram, and website)
- Other duties as needed
The Youth Pastor is accountable to the Senior Pastors (both KC and EC) of Open Door Presbyterian Church and the joint KC and EC elder board session of the church.
- Clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ
- A heart for youth ministry
- Graduate of an accredited seminary or someone who is working toward one
- Minimum 3 years of experience of youth ministry is preferred
- Proficiency with computers and mobile computing platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, etc)
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite/Google Drive
- Good administrative and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through verbal and written means
Please submit all materials listed below via email to JobsYG@odpcec.org with the subject heading of “Youth Pastor.”
- Cover Letter
- Resume (including at least 2 references)
- Youth ministry experience and philosophy (1-2 pages)
- 2 sermons, video preferred but audio acceptable
To apply for this job please visit odpcec.org.