Description of Bethany Congregation:
We are a small multi-ethnic congregation of approximately 70 members (40-45 active adults, ten inactive adults, 15-20 youths and children). The church was formed in the early 1940s and has primarily served as a community church. As many members moved or passed away, church memberships dwindled in the early 2000s. It led to a merger of
the congregation with the English ministry at a nearby Korean presbyterian church in 2003. Since then, it started drawing other members from neighborhoods and became a multi-ethnic congregation.
On a regular Sunday, about 40 adults along with ten youths and children attend worship. Most adult members are in their 40’s and 50’s with children in college or high school, and a few senior members have been with the church from the 1940s or 1950s. Members include families that live near the church in the surrounding town of Bloomfield and Nutley, as well as families that live further away in Bergen and Essex counties. A number of them drive 30 minutes or more to attend Bethany. The majority of the congregation is still composed of Asian Americans, but our members and visitors reflect the variety of ethnicity and culture, and many of us are busy professionals.
The church has its own building constructed in 1946 and has maintained a manse, two-minute walking distance from the building.
As a mature congregation, we need help to form the direction of our future ministries, including a new pastoral search or a potential merger with another young congregation. We prayerfully hope to bring an interim pastor who can advise us during this process. The lay leaders are involved in the church’s operation to help the interim pastor as we’ve done before. Our congregation is in better shape than other congregations mainly composed of elderly members who lose pastoral leadership.
The pastor will be responsible to (please add or delete from this list):
● Lead worship and preach at Sunday services; arrange for substitute preachers on any Sunday absent
● Assist in special events of the church calendar: Easter and Christmas
● Guide the session/communicate with the COM for Bethany’s mission study
● Lead weekly bible study and train the session who will in turn lead the study for the congregation
● Moderate monthly session and quarterly congregational meetings
● Serve as Head of Staff for the choir director and office administrator
● Be point of contact for external groups using the church building such as Gamblers Anonymous
● Provide pastoral care for the congregation members who seek comfort and guidance as needed
● Visit hospitalized members, provide communion to shut-ins, perform baptisms as needed
● Officiate funerals and weddings upon request
We expect a 40 office-hour commitment per week: Sunday + four other days during a week.
Compensation: effective salary $70,000 to $88,500 per year (negotiable based upon experience) including manse, utilities and benefits (medical, pension, death and disability+social security offset).
If interested, please contact Peter Pak, Clerk of Session at:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com