Church of Philippi
7422 Race Rd. Hanover, MD 21076
English Congregation (EC) Assistant Pastor Job Description
My name is David Seong Won Kim, the EC pastor for the Church of Philippi. As I am posting this opening, I just wanted to share something. I am aware that among those who will see this post there are many of us with different experiences, many negative and some positive, with the Korean immigrant churches and I am also one of the many. I at one point wondered if I wanted to shift my focus beyond the Korean immigrant church but I’ve also come to realize that the problems I’ve encountered in the Korean church settings also exist in any established churches that have history whether they be Asian American, multi-ethnic or Caucasian churches.
So, for this season of my life, God has put in my heart to pursue for a model that’s uniquely better in health and culture in an immigrant church. So in my transition, I searched for an immigrant church that might have a leadership group with shared urgency, openness and willingness to make hard sacrificial decisions to go beyond the frameworks of the old Korean immigrant churches that have hurt so many of our generation in the past. I found the Church of Philippi.
Our senior pastor who’s a 2nd generation Korean American certainly has created a different working culture at Philippi. Majority of our leadership and our congregation share the urgency and openness for future oriented goals and decisions. We do have a long way to go still. Yet the Church of Philippi was one of the rare immigrant churches that I found hope for meaningful change and in my past 1.5 years here, those hopes have been confirmed to be true. So as I share this post, I want to ask, if there’s any brother that wants to join hands to build something unique with hope for the future of the Korean immigrant church, please pray and consider joining our team. If you would like to find out more before applying, I would love to share more so please reach out. (FYI, just a heads up, our website is not yet available online)
The Church of Philippi is seeking a full-time English Congregation assistant pastor to help move forward the vision of the church to build a unique model of interdependent partnership between the Korean and the English Congregation that will be focused on raising a resilient next generation of disciples for the church. The English Congregation has been consistently growing and is entering a stage in its growth when it needs to train and disciple its members to expand its leadership and maturity. The EC assistant pastor will do this by overseeing the young adults within the EC while developing training tracks under the guidance of the senior pastor and the EC pastor to disciple current and new leaders for both the family and the young adult side of EC.
About the Congregation
The Church of Philippi is a non-denominational church that puts its faith in the inerrant and infallible Word of the Triune God and in Jesus Christ our only Lord and Savior. The English Congregation of the Church of Philippi currently has about 160-180 adults in attendance on Sundays, about 50-60 of them being young adults. 38 family side members and 30 young adults are participating in small groups. The congregation is growing ethnically diverse with many multi-cultural families and singles joining while about 70% of the congregation is Korean American.
– Be a part of the rotation to preside services.
– Periodically preach (around once a month) for the EC service in partnership with the EC pastor
– Oversee the welcome team (rotate with EC pastor when preaching)
– Oversee the Sunday worship service and preside (rotate with EC pastor when preaching)
– Develop training classes and teach them in partnership with the EC pastor
– Oversee the Young Adults group of EC
– Plan and execute annual and financial plans for the EC young adults group with the leadership group (Young Adults Committee)
– Provide Shepherding when needed for young adults
– Partner with the EC pastor with communications
– Partner with the EC pastor with financial reimbursements
– Partner with the EC pastor during annual budgeting and planning
– Partner with the EC pastor with any special events
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Ability to effectively interact with the Church community and staff members
Integrity, professionalism and consistent work ethic
Humble posture to exchange constructive feedback spoken with love and respect during meetings
Faithful follower of Jesus Christ
M.Div or higher from an accredited seminary
Ordained or willing to be ordained in a credible denomination.
Minimum 2 years of full-time ministry experience with high school or above age group
Korean language skills a plus but not necessary
· Reports To: The senior pastor and the EC pastor
· Works Closely With: EC Pastor
· Participates With: Church of Philippi Pastoral Staff and EC Families.
· Oversees: EC Young Adults
Required Documents and Contents
– Resume or C.V.
– Personal Testimony/Statement of Faith
– Philosophy/Vision of Ministry
– 2 Reference Letters (1 Pastoral, 1 Personal)
– A video or audio file/link of 2 sermons
– Commensurate to experience, credentials and life stage
Please send your questions and application to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com