Youth Ministry (YM) Pastor Job Description
My name is David Seong Won Kim, the EC pastor for the Church of Philippi. As I am posting this opening, I just wanted to share something. I am aware that among those who will see this post there are many of us with different experiences, many negative and some positive, with the Korean immigrant churches and I am also one of the many. I at one point wondered if I wanted to shift my focus beyond the Korean immigrant church but I’ve also come to realize that the problems I’ve encountered in the Korean church settings also exist in any established churches that have history whether they be Asian American, multi-ethnic or Caucasian churches.
So, for this season of my life, God has put in my heart to pursue for a model that’s uniquely better in health and culture in an immigrant church. So in my transition, I searched for an immigrant church that might have a leadership group with shared urgency, openness and willingness to make hard sacrificial decisions to go beyond the frameworks of the old Korean immigrant churches that have hurt so many of our generation in the past. I found the Church of Philippi.
Our senior pastor who’s a 2nd generation Korean American certainly has created a different working culture at Philippi. Majority of our leadership and our congregation share the urgency and openness for future oriented goals and decisions. We do have a long way to go still. Yet the Church of Philippi was one of the rare immigrant churches that I found hope for meaningful change and in my past 1.5 years here, those hopes have been confirmed to be true. So as I share this post, I want to ask, if there’s any brother that wants to join hands to build something unique with hope for the future of the Korean immigrant church, please pray and consider joining our team. If you would like to find out more before applying, I would love to share more so please reach out. (FYI, just a heads up, our website is not yet available online)
The Church of Philippi is seeking 1-2 full-time Youth Ministry (6th-12th Grade) Pastor(s) to help carry out the vision of the church for the next generation to grow to become a Christ centered community eager to become lifelong disciples of Jesus. The YM Pastor will do this through the discipleship and shepherding of students, partnering with youth leaders, engaging with parents and families of the church, and collaboration with the pastoral staff, potentially another YM pastor.
About the Ministry:
The YM consists of students 6-12th grades ranging around 120 Sunday attendance. They are led out by small group leaders who care for grade and gender specific groups. The YM will continue to grow as the Church of Philippi has many younger age families in the Children’s Ministry.
– Live as a spiritually mature believer of the gospel with a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Exemplifying the qualities of a servant leader for the Kingdom of God.
– Plan and execute weekly Sunday services for YM students.
– Rightly handle the Word of Truth through preaching weekly sermons.
– Create a Christ centered, welcoming, and engaging environment for students to be involved in the Sunday service.
– Plan and execute weekly Friday gatherings for YM students including small group curriculum, praise and prayer nights, and various activities for fellowship.
– Recruit, build, and equip volunteer team to partner in YM work.
– Recruit volunteers to join YM team for any open positions.
– Build relationship with volunteers and disciple as small group leaders of YM.
– Lead small group leaders with clear vision, communication, and pastoral care.
– Connect with church PTA to pursue parental input and feedback.
– Provide biblical pastoral care to students.
– Meet with students outside of service time through visitations and meetings.
– Develop and lead discipleship classes for intentional spiritual growth and fellowship with students.
– Oversee and equip student leadership teams (Praise Team, Welcome Team, Misc. Planning Teams) to grow in their spiritual maturity and ownership of the YM.
– Plan and execute yearly events for spiritual development and fellowship of students.
– Bi-annual, overnight retreats for all of YM.
– Partnering with Children’s Ministry to train student leaders for annual Vacation Bible School.
– Various fellowship and discipleship events through the year.
– Participate in weekly staff meetings with the pastoral staff and regularly meet with the Senior Pastor and English Congregation Pastor for updates and planning.
1. Strong verbal and written communication skills
2. Ability to effectively interact with the Church community and staff members
3. Organizational skills
4. Integrity, professionalism and consistent work ethic
5. Humble posture to exchange constructive feedback spoken with love and respect
Faithful follower of Jesus Christ
M.Div or higher from an accredited seminary
Minimum 2 years of part-time experience with elementary age group or above
A focused passion and vision particularly for youth
Korean language skills a plus but not necessary
· Reports To: The senior pastor and the English Congregation pastor
· Works Closely With: Pastoral Staff and YM PTA.
· Participates With: Church of Philippi families.
· Oversees: YM volunteer staff and student leaders.
Required Documents and Contents
– Resume or C.V.
– Personal Testimony/Statement of Faith
– Philosophy/Vision of Ministry
– 2 Reference Letters (1 Pastoral, 1 Personal)
– A video or audio file/link of 2 sermons
– Commensurate to experience, credentials and life stage
Please send your questions and application to firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com