About the Church and the Opportunity
Joy Manhattan’s vision is that we would be a church “Transformed by the Gospel, Transforming the World.” The church is made up of followers of Jesus who passionately pursue intimacy with God, build community, and discover God’s calling on our lives (www.joymanhattan.com). Joy Manhattan is a vibrant, non-denominational church in the center of Manhattan with around 80-100 members of mostly young adults, couples, and young families.
We are seeking a full-time Ministry / Operations Director for the Joy Manhattan congregation. This person would play a key role in executing our vision by partnering with church leadership and members to direct our resources efficiently and effectively in carrying out the mission of the church. This person will work closely with the pastor, church staff, and lay leadership in directing weekly logistical needs in addition to coordinating discipleship programs and initiatives.
The job is based in Manhattan. Some work can be done remotely, though some regular meetings will be in person, including staff meetings, Sunday services, and other events.
- An administrative leader who is a team player, thinks strategically, enjoys overseeing ministry teams, loves people and the church, and doesn’t mind “rolling up their sleeves.”
- As a member of our church staff, the candidate should live an exemplary life that is “above reproach” (Matthew 5:16, 1 Peter 2:12).
- Minimum 3 years of ministry or operations leadership experience.
- Seminary studies is desirable but not required.
- Full-time: $60K – $75K and partial healthcare coverage. 40+ hours/week
- Full-time hours include work on Sundays and some evenings/weekends.
Send cover letter (including why you want to work in this role), resume, and two references (one professional reference and one from a pastor who knows you well) to: email@example.com
Due to the volume of anticipated responses, we will be unable to reply to all candidates. Sorry for any inconvenience. Thank you.
Potential Areas of Responsibility (to be discussed based on experience and interest)
Ministry Planning & Execution
- Help align every part of JoyM’s ministry under shared language, metrics, strategy, and accountability
- Coordinate with pastor to implement new ministries in response to identified needs and opportunities for furthering the mission of JoyM (e.g. college & young adult ministry, neighborhood outreach, etc.)
- Assess, improve, and create a plan for future development of all church ministry areas so that they more clearly align with JoyM’s mission and direction.
- Oversee the operational excellence of the Sunday service to minimize distractions and maximize the mission
- Help translate the broad vision/strategy (shaped by the pastor, elders, and deacons) of all ministries into executable action plans with measurable results
- Help ministry teams develop organizational clarity (clear objectives, role descriptions)
- Attend Deacon bi-weekly meetings and provide logistical leadership and support
Systems, Projects, and Policies
- Manage special projects (i.e. re-organizing children’s ministry, launching a new website, worship venue/office search), setting timelines and expectations and ensuring excellent and timely execution.
- Together with the pastor, evaluate systems and structures, including Community Group ministry, leadership development pipeline, and other pathways for membership and discipleship. Help ministry leaders design and improve systems and structures in their areas of responsibility
- Improve and create written policies, procedures, and processes for all relevant aspects of church
- Develop and maintain all-church systems, processes, and metrics
- Create and manage internal and external communications (e.g. website, social media, weekly emails)
- Help spearhead broader digital strategy, including leveraging media to communicate vision, creating digital presence for teaching and worship resources, and engaging online community
- Initiate focus groups on JoyM “branding” and overall aesthetics
- Help oversee financial budget, working together with the pastor, finance committee, and deacons to set priorities and ensure wise stewardship of resources
- Plan, prepare, and present finalized budget to members
- General accounting of income, expenses and reimbursement process
- Prepare regular financial updates as needed for internal operations
- Oversee rental agreement and serve as primary church contact with lessor
- Manage & coordinate with relevant leaders for any special events that utilize rental facilities
- Oversee search process for alternative worship venue and office space
- Miscellaneous administrative duties: mailing, purchasing, bill payment, financial deposits
- Ensure a productive (virtual?) office set-up (IT, supplies, etc) to give team tools needed
- Participate in annual staff performance reviews in conjunction with the pastor.
- Create, manage, and process all HR policies and procedures (vacation schedule and tracking, new staff onboarding, job description reviews, office policies, etc.)
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org