Los Feliz United Methodist Church
Jesus Christ Community / English Ministry
We are seeking a half-time EM (English Ministry) Pastor who is willing to commit to serving JCC (Jesus Christ Community) and our church. Los Feliz JCC is currently made up of 35 members, 15 active attendances (Pre-Covid), with 4 CORE Team Leadership. We are looking for a pastor who can be committed to building the ministry. As our congregation is currently predominately Korean and Korean American, we have aspirations to develop into a multicultural presence in Los Angeles. This position currently is half-time but there are plans to expand into a full-time position. We hope that this candidate will invest in the church on a long-term basis.
Los Feliz United Methodist Church (LFUMC) is a traditional, gospel-centered church – focused on the love of Jesus and making Him known. Although LFUMC is currently a member of the United Methodist Church and the UMC denomination is adopting a more liberal theology, LFUMC is focused on the Word of God, discipleship, and missions.
LFUMC is located in Holywood, CA. LFUMC’s history spans over 127 years and has been in the Los Feliz region of Los Angeles for over 100 years. LFUMC started off as an American church, and the Korean congregation joined 46 years ago. After 21 years, the American congregation passed down everything to the Korean congregation. Since 2008, we’ve been at our newly constructed church at the intersection of Hollywood and Western.
Our church draws three visions in concentric circles or ripples from a dropped object in water.
 The first, smallest concentric circle is that one member by one member, we become disciples of Jesus Christ.
 The second, slightly larger concentric circle is the transformation of the community, Hollywood, into HolyWood.
 The third and largest concentric circle is to think of the whole world as our parish and implement the mission of Vision 50—to send 500,000 missionaries together with the global church by 2050.
FUTURE OF THE CHURCH
[Step 1] In the current predominantly 1st generation Korean church, EM (English Ministry) will carry on the traditions of faith and carry out the EM vision.
[Step 2] EM and KM (Korean Ministry) will collaborate to carry out the vision of LFUMC.
[Step 3] The EM pastor becomes the senior pastor of LFUMC, and KM will become a department of LFUMC.
PILLARS OF THE MINISTRY
We are looking for a co labor who commits to carrying out:
- LFUMC’s three core visions (see “Core Vision”)
- DTS (Discipleship Training School) which teaches the foundations of our faith, the way to be a disciple of Christ, and the structure of our church
*If you feel called to serve alongside LFUMC, please continue to read and apply!*
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee and set the overall ministry direction for JCC EM and work with the Education Department.
- Main English preaching and teaching Pastor
- Disciple and lead the congregation in Sunday service, Tuesday Night EM Fellowship nights, and DTS
- Shepherd the members and raise them up
- Coordinate with pastoral staff and CORE Team
- Regularly communicate with staff and members for information and engagement
- Be a member of the church
- As a pastor of the Church, responsibilities may include:
- Assisting other ministry functions, Administration
- Saturday Morning Staff Meetings,
- Core Team Meetings,
- Saturday morning service
- Must have a heart for Los Angeles and the Mission of the city.
- Coordinate events throughout the year, which may include:
- Missions Trips
- Yearly Retreats and Annual Holywood Praise night with Youth Group
- Monthly Holywood neighborhood outreach with Youth Group
- Yearly Revival organization
- Yearly CORE retreat for CORE team enrichment
- A believer and disciple of Jesus Christ
- Ability to handle the Word of God correctly, with gospel-focused and expository preaching, and teaching to equip the congregation to become mature disciples of Jesus.
- Commitment to LFUMC’s and JCCEM’s Vision and Mission
- A call into vocational ministry
- Good work ethic, teachable heart
- Has pastoral ministry experience
- Character- we are looking for someone with upstanding character to lead, teach, and be an example of the character of Christ. (1 Timothy 3)
- We are looking for someone with vision and the courage to build that vision.
- Competent- are you responsible to lead, serve and protect the ministry?
- Graduated from or currently enrolled in an accredited seminary
- Legally able to work in the US & pass background check
- Fluency in English
- Must have the desire to understand and communicate with Pastors and Senior Church Leadership.
(Fluency in Korean is preferred, but not required.)
APPLICATION: REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter which states one’s ministry philosophy
- Personal Testimony and Statement of Faith
- Two Letters of Recommendation (recommended but not required)
- Two recent sermons (video/audio files or links)
Please email (email@example.com) all required documents in PDF form titled “JCCEM.YourName.DocumentType”.
August 2021 or until filled
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org