San Jose Emmanuel Presbyterian Church (EPC) English Ministry
Position: Associate or Assistant Pastor
Size: ~150 people
San Jose Emmanuel Presbyterian Church English Ministry is a growing church located in the heart of Silicon Valley. EPC EM is in an interdependent relationship with the EPC Korean Ministry (KM: 1200 congregants). EPC EM is made up of ~150 members and we have had strong growth over the past couple years and we are looking to expand our pastoral staff to serve, lead and grow the church in faithfulness to the Gospel.
We are a member of the KAPC (Korean-American Presbyterian Church) and Reformed in our theology. For more information, please refer to our website at: “epcministry.org”.
EPC Core Values
- Love God, love people, make disciples of Christ.
- The Gospel is at the heart of all things in who we are and what we are called to do.
- Worship in all things, both formal and informal.
- We seek to live and serve out of devoted surrender to Christ rather than mere duty and execution.
- Prayer is the lifeblood by which we gather, grow and go.
Role & Responsibilities of Pastoral Position
- Primary: Pastor of (A) Young Adults (post-college to mid-30s) OR (B) Adults/Families (Depending on life stage, fit and gifting)
- Disciple and provide pastoral care for those in appropriate life stage ministry.
- Plan and lead regularly scheduled life stage ministries, worship and gatherings.
- Plan and coordinate with life stage servant-leaders (events, life groups, retreats, serve etc) in an effort to mature our servant-leaders of the church.
- Oversee appropriate life stage Life Groups (equip leaders, attend life groups on rotation etc).
- Secondary Responsibilities as a Pastor of EPC:
- Preach on rotation (according to gifting and availability).
- Lead a second ministry initiative based on gifting, passion, need and ability (TBD).
- Pastoral Staff meetings (weekly), Sunday presiding (on rotation)
- Help oversee some lay ministry teams.
- Help plan/coordinate Sunday services based on gifting (AV, volunteers, Welcome team etc).
- Lead a Bible study series 2-3 times a year for the EM (according to gifting).
- Basic ministry admin and organizational duties.
- A primary vision and goal for the lead EM Pastor is to develop a team-driven model where healthy relationships and a committed Gospel perspective unite the pastors to serve after faithful excellence. This includes open and honest communication, mentorship, accountability and a genuine concern for the well-being and personhood of the pastor and his family etc. It is the desire of the church and leadership to put God’s servants in a position to thrive, mature and succeed in what God has called them to do.
- Reports to the lead EM Pastor
Expectations of Pastoral Candidate
- Trustworthy and integrity in character.
- Humble in attitude and service.
- Open and honest communication and participation in the life of the church and pastoral staff.
- Faithful to God’s calling to ministry in love and service of the church.
- Teachable and willing to genuinely listen, share and mature as a person and pastor.
- Seeks after faithful excellence in all things.
- To be a part of the life of the church and be present at all worship services and church events (excluding excused absences and vacation time).
- To be sensitive, wise, self-aware and pastoral in serving and growing with the church.
- To practice good judgment and discernment in confidentiality with sensitive church information.
- To contribute to the practical life of the church through tithing.
- Capable in relevant ministry software and programs (MS Office, Slack, Google apps etc).
- Able and willing to submit to church leadership and the by-laws, pastoral policies, theological positions, pastoral handbook and direction of EPC.
- Graduated from an accredited seminary with at least an M.A. (M.Div preferred).
- At least 2 years of full-time pastoral ministry experience. (Candidates with less experience may still be considered depending on giftedness and fit)
- Above reproach and able to exhibit the Gospel in life and character (Titus 1:6-9; 1 Timothy 3:2).
- Character, Competence and a clear Calling for ministry.
- Good fit with the pastoral staff and culture of EPC (Must be fluent in English as a first language).
- Ordination is a plus, but not required.
- Total Compensation & Benefits
Package starting at $80,000 (depending on experience, ordination, life circumstances etc)
- Package includes: healthcare, cell phone & gas allowance, continuing education, conferences, annual study break, built-in sabbatical, life insurance, housing allowance (if ordained), paternity leave etc.
- PTO (paid time off) for the first year is 1 week (to be taken after the first 6 months at EPC). This will increase to 2 weeks after the first year of employment (PTO increases over time).
- Relocation Assistance
How to Apply
- Prepare and send the following information in one email to: “firstname.lastname@example.org”:
- Cover letter (brief self introduction)
- Resume or CV
- Copy of Seminary diploma(s) and Ordination Certificate (if applicable)
- 3 References (Have emailed by recommender to “email@example.com”, your name in subject)
- (A) a pastor you served under in ministry;
- (B) a pastoral peer in ministry you have served with for at least a year;
- (C) a deacon or elder that you served with or under.
- 2 Sermon samples (within past 1-2 years; video link of live sermon is highly recommended)
- Personal Testimony and Faith Statement (1-2 pages)
- Vision and Philosophy for Ministry (1-2 pages)
- Incomplete application packages will not be accepted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org